Acronis Cyber Backup vs. Veeam Backup and Replication
Comprehensive, protecting complete infrastructures, not just VM
- Safeguard data on 21 platforms, including mobile devices, from a single management console. One solution supports:
- Windows, Linux, Mac
- iPhone, iPad, Android
- All major hypervisors: VMware vSphere, Microsoft
Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer, Linux KVM, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, and
Oracle VM Server
- Backup of Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware ESXi hosts, not just VMs
- Support for all current and most legacy systems, from Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, to Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
Faster, delivering better RTOs and more frequent backups:
- Experience up to 30 percent faster backups and recover up to six times faster (according to Acronis lab tests).
- Meet 15 second RTOs with Acronis Instant Restore. Start Windows or Linux virtual machines immediately from backup storage. Get your virtual machine (VM) running in mere seconds, while Acronis Instant Restore technology invisibly moves data in the background to the host.
- Move (finalize) the instantly restored VM to production without stopping the machine or buying expensive live migration licenses with bult-in proprietary Acronis technology.
- Eliminate the need to install essential storage and network drivers manually during dissimilar hardware recovery. Acronis Universal Restore offers any-to-any migration, including P2V, V2P, V2V, C2V, C2V, and more.
Easier to use, for faster implementation and greater customization
- Manage all backups using a single, intuitive, modern, web-based management console, available in 18 languages.
- Choose your native language. Settings are user-based, which is especially useful for IT specialists at multinational organizations.
- Access and manage your backups remotely from any modern browser on any device, including tablets and smartphones.
- Review your protection status quickly with built-in smart alerts, customizable controls, and exception reporting. A single dashboard manages data protection on-premises, in remote offices, in public clouds, in private clouds, and on mobile devices.
- Spend less time training. The intuitive interface allows IT generalists to run backups and mitigates staff engagement.
- Implement backups quickly and easily with cloud deployment and no special prerequisites required on customer premises.
Transparent, with simple licensing – no other components required
- Avoid hidden costs with simplified licensing. Acronis has just nine SKUs – Veeam has hundreds.
- Buy one virtual host license to protect all VMs running on a single host.
- Maintain backup servers without buying another Windows license. Acronis offers an “all-in-one” Linux-based virtual appliance installation option
More secure, using cutting-edge technology to combat today’s threats
- Protect against ransomware with proactive AI and ML technologies working to prevent system unavailability caused by 99.99 percent of strains. It distinguishes typical processes from suspicious ones by recognizing bad behavior and then protects files and software from unauthorized modification, encryption or alteration. Any files impacted by an attack are automatically restored.
- Encrypt all backups and use password-protection to secure all files, regardless if they are stored by Acronis (cloud or management server) or elsewhere. Safeguard any volume of data. Acronis’ technology is highly redundant. And with 12 cloud data centers globally, Acronis is committed to providing a high level of security and reliability.
- Ensure data integrity with Acronis Notary, our built-in blockchain notarization technology that thwarts file damage and/or tampering.
VEEAM USER/CUSTOMER PAIN POINTS
- Outdated Windows-based interface impacts ease of use.
- Not accessible from non-Windows systems or mobile devices.
- Cannot be localized, making it a challenge for multinational companies to use.
- Limited platforms support forcescustomers to use multiple solutions for complete protection.
- No unified management, storage,or integrated functionality:
- More complex backup process because backup and
recovery of physical and virtual systems (e.g. Amazon, Azure and Office 365)
require different tools.
- No protection for legacy systems (e.g. Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 or Windows Vista) so solution requires third party tool.
- Veeam requires powering off and long downtime during finalization or using expensive, third party tool during finalization in order to make ESXi machine permanent after V2V migration.
- No mobile data protection means no backup support for macOS, iOS and Android devices.
- Greater risk for noncompliance. Dataisexposed without password protection or encryption for Office 365 backups. I.e. when small businesses outsource backup services, their data can be corrupted without any built-in protection.
- Veeam has no data centers. Veeam’s cloudoption (Veeam Cloud Connect) is only available through partners.
- Vulnerable to ransomware attacks. Therehave been cases when ransomware not only encrypted files but also deleted Veeam backups.
- Veeam has higher TCO due tocomplexlicensing, various SKUs, and a license for each VM/socket required. E.g. price increases with the number of VMs requiring protection, and Veeam requires additional agents and deeper IT involvement
SHORT SUMMARY: WHY ACRONIS IS BETTER THAN VEEAM
- Acronis protects more platforms including mobile devices, and more hypervisors and legacy operating systems. Veeam protects only popular systems and some hypervisors, and cannot protect mobile data.
- Acronis is the only solution that delivers advanced AI- and ML-based ransomware protection. Veeam can’t provide that level of protection.
- Acronis has simpler, transparent licensing. Veeam has numerous SKUs, requiring users to buy different solutions and a license for each VM, resulting in a more expensive, incomplete solution.
- Acronis has a simple web-based management console localized to 18 languages. Veeam has an outdated interface and only supports the English language.
- Acronis owns and operates 12 cloud data centers globally to deliver more secure cloud storage. Veeam’s cloud option is partner-based, requiring more work and amplifying risk.
QUESTIONS TO COMPELVEEAM USERS TO SWITCH
- How many backup tools do you have? Once your environment expands, are you willing to spend more time using more tools?
- Do you have time to manage different backup solutions, for multiple systems, one by one?
- Do you know that some ransomware variants delete Veeam backups first? Are you comfortable being vulnerable to modern threats?
- Did you know you have to make unsecured, unencrypted backup copies of your emails because of limits within your Office 365 environment?